In recent years, there are numerous insults, attacks on Ataturk in Turkey and surprisingly outside. People have no knowledge of Turkish history, very limited knowledge of Islamic religion, they haven’t read Ataturk’s book NUTUK, but they spread unfounded false accusations like a disease. My question is WHY? Why a man who died in 1938 bothers these people so much?
Are they not able to build mosques, pray freely, celebrate religious days? Are they not able to form religious groups (cults)?
A friend of mine Yilmaz Karahan summed up the distortion of Ataturk’s true value and personality in three types.
- Western-minded capitalists: These people tried very hard to use Ataturk’s Republic, secularism, dressing code, industrialism etc. and looked down on real people in the rural areas, tried to bring in western culture and undermine Turkish culture. They hid behind Ataturk and through this process always had power and being part and parcel of one world order.
- Revolutionary minded socialists: These people took Ataturk’s “Peace at home, peace in the world” as a mantra and made activities against Islam and Turks/Turkish culture. They used/manipulated true meaning of the removal of the Caliphate, the declaration of secularism, the closure of tekke and zaviye, the revolution, the struggle for independence against the imperialist states. They created the word “Kemalist” (comes from Mustafa Kemal Ataturk’s name) and tried to make Ataturk like a prophet, new religion. They tried to show Ataturk against Islam. They were insensitive and disrespectful towards national and spiritual values. With the mantra “The brotherhood of the peoples” they set the ground for separatism. They are active in the fields of press and art. Against capital (money), so-called warlords but they are only capitalist through trade unions and other organizations. They are also fed by bad links.
- Prejudiced minded religious people: Organised by the enemy of Turks, worked in disguise (like Gulen movement) and abused pure, good intentions of Anatolian people who had true Iman. They distorted the collapse of Ottoman Empire, escape of Sultan, declaration of Turkish republic, change of alphabet etc. and declared Ataturk as deccal and against Islam.
One needs to pay attention that first 2 feeds the third one. Hence all in all, since 1938, this has been used to dismantle, destabilise Turkey till this date. They created an unreal Ataturk (using national hero, a true humanist genius and Turkish value) with 3 heads. With all this influence, most of the Turkish people, let alone foreigners don’t really know real Ataturk.
Some realities of Ataturk:
- Ataturk wanted Turkish people to be religious and conservative in religious values by saying “Religion is a must institution. There is no possibility of continuation for irreligious nations”; “Religion exists and needed.”
- Ataturk sent a telegraph to Damascus muftu, stating the victory against the Greeks in Anatolia and asked to read mevlid and make dua for the success and Islamic cause. This victory was welcomed and was a big one in Damascus and Aleppo. Celebrated with festivals, Ataturk (then Mustafa Kemal) was given the title of Seyfu’l-Islam (Sword of Islam). As a result of this success, some mosques were sung in the evening of September 22, ten thousand gold lira were sent to Anatolia as aid. (Metin Hülagü http://www.atam.gov.tr/milli-mucadele-donemi-turkiye-islam-ulkeleri-munasebetleri/ ).
- During the war he was called “Militant leader of Muslims”. Mostly English used this. But there was another title given to him Muslim people “İslam’ın halaskarı Gazi”, à Rescuer war veteran of Islam. This title was only given by group of people who went to war with their prayer mats rolled in one hand and their weapon in the other. They only gave this to a leader who they think is confirmed by Allah.
- His adopted daughter said; He used to get thoughtful, sad and tell old stories. For example, he always prayed when he went to war, he said he would open his hands and pray that ‘Allah will never captive the Turkish nation.’ Source: dated 10.11.2011 http://www.ensonhaber.com/ataturkun-savasa–giderken–okudugu-dua-2011-11-10.html
- He ordered that in Mosques, hutbe also said in plain Turkish so that people would understand the meaning and strengthen their Iman. (Atatürk’ün Söylev ve Demeçleri, c. 1, s. 225)
- Ataturk always said that “Islam is a logical and scientific religion.” (Atatürk”ün Söylev ve Demeçleri, 1959, c.2, s. 90)
- Ataturk said that in Islam and Turkish culture, women and men are equal. Initiated women’s voting rights 5 March 1934!! They had the same rights as men to be MPs etc. (Atatürk’ün Söylev ve Demeçleri, 1959, c.2, s.86)
- In another talk, he advised that Turkish people should be more religious and close to NUR (light of Allah). Only this way they can get rid of fabricated religion. (Atatürk ve Din Eğitimi, Ahmet Gürbaş, Diyanet İşleri Başkanlığı Yayınları, s.32)
- He ordered Quran to be translated for the first time to Turkish. The famous Elmalili tefsir was done in 10 years. This is the most comprehensive translation to date. It took Muhammed Hamdi Yazır (known as Elmalili) 10 years to complete. The most precise / accurate and well researched translation to date.
- He also had Buhari’s 12 volume books translated.
- Established Diyanet (Directorate of Religious Affairs) at 3rd March 1924.
- 7 February 1923, he attended Friday prayer in Zaganos Pasa Mosque and made a beautiful speech. I can’t translate, it’s long. (Atatürk’ün Söylev ve Demeçleri, c. 2, s. 93)
- After Gallipoli (Canakkale war), he was given 2 prayer mats with Canakkale map on it. He gave one to his mum to use and pray in her bedroom, he put the other in his office and used to pray and sit on it to do Tefekkur for hours.
- He was admirer of Hz. Muhammed s.a.v . He saw a book which was written by a two faced cleric about Islam and prophet thinking Ataturk was unti islam. He called the head Imam and asked him if he read it. The imam asked permission for a couple of days, afraid to comment. But Ataturk couldn’t wait, after a day called him and before even imam finished his comment, he ordered “collect this rubbish from selling and sack the person from government job who wrote it”.
- Last but not the least: 15 days before he died, he sent a message to all Islamic countries;
“Bütün Dünya Müslümanları!
Allah’ın(cc) son peygamberi Hazreti Muhammed’in (sav) gösterdiği yolu takip etmeli ve verdiği talimatları tam olarak tatbik etmeli. Tüm Müslümanlar Hazreti Muhammed’i örnek almalı ve kendisi gibi hareket etmeli. İslamiyet’in hükümlerini olduğu gibi yerine getirmeli. Zira ancak bu şekilde insanlar kurtulabilir ve kalkınabilir”
(Kaynak: Urduca Yayınlarda Atatürk. Ankara Üniversitesi Dil ve Tarih-Coğrafya Fakültesi yayınları. 1979 Say. 102)
Simply saying, all world Muslims should follow Hz. Muhammed and his way, take him an example, should behave like him and all Islamic rules should be applied as it is. Only this way humans can be saved and prosper.
What Ataturk did was to get rid of religious scum bags who hid in so-called Tarikats (also called Zaviye, Tekke etc.) worked as agents for foreign powers to help collapse of Ottoman Empire. Even after war, they were still using religion for the uprising.
I also would like to mention that Islam didn’t help Turks, Turks helped Islam and preserved it against western influences and attacks. These Turkish Empires were all Muslims; Karahanlilar (Kara-Khanid Khanate 840-1212), Seljuk Empire (1037-1194), Timurid Empire (1370-1507) and Ottomans (1299-1923).
This is despite killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Turkish people, slaving people (despite it’s forbidden in Islam) during Abbasi and Emevi (Ummayad Caliphate) terms by so-called (distorted) Muslim Arabs. How about today? What do they do today? A few puppets of western powers sucking the blood of innocent people. The truth is out there, one just need to read, research and don’t believe everything said by distorted, manipulated and used so-called Sufi groups.
These groups also say Turks don’t like Sufis!! In today’s Turkey, there are hundreds of Sufi groups. In fact, there is no need to have so-called SUFI groups. All Muslims in Turkey (98% of the population) live it without the unislamic and cultish behaviour of these groups.
Sufi tradition doesn’t come with Islam, it is a Tevrat (Judaist) tradition and existed well before Islamic religion.
Everybody who knows Turkey knows some of the well organised large groups of which has mosques in many other countries. They have been used and manipulated by external powers. The best example is Gulen movement (the most dangerous terrorist group who infiltrated in every government and civil organisation using religion in disguise, used by very obvious western powers as a test bed, attempted to take over the country in 2016, bombing parliament, killing hundreds of innocent people).
Another very famous so-called Sufi is RUMI, called MEVLANA in Turkey. His cult is also called MEVLEVI (MEV – LEVI: Comes from LEVITES). Nobody questions him and his origins. Not anymore. Several Turkish researchers are actually looking into it and uncovering his hidden agenda and how he actually implanted kabbalistic rituals in Islamic teaching and distorted the religion. You can read more about crypto-Judaism here https://panjewish.org/denominations/alevi-bektashi/ .
Rumi had a very interesting relationship (a love story) with Sems. They try to put it a Godly love but reality shows different.
So in this short article, I tried to explain that there is more to the truth then it looks. None of the Islamic cults has anything to do with real Islam. They did not exist during the prophet.
Amazing summary, a unique and important perspective on Ataturk and Islam. Thank you.
The need of hour is to turn back to pure Islam. Where women can do a job, can go outside and ask for her rights. Where Sufis, Magics and terror should be avoided.